K-12 Language Arts is part of the Department of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment at the Learning Services Center. The Language Arts Department oversees and supports the development and implementation of Tier 1 curriculum, assessment, and instruction for Language Arts in the St. Vrain Valley School District.
The K-12 Language Arts Coordinators are responsible for the following to support our community, parents, administrators, teachers, and students in the St. Vrain Valley School District:
- Coordinate shared vision and practice in literacy learning and instruction across all disciplines and schools to ensure all students are effective readers, writers, and communicators;
- Align instructional materials for Language Arts to the Colorado Academic Standards PK-12, ensuring a rigorous, guaranteed & viable curriculum for all students;
- Support the effective implementation of the adopted instructional materials for Language Arts K-12;
- Support the design, implementation, and interpretation of District-wide Language Arts assessments;
- Customize support for school-based improvement goals based on identified needs in Language Arts achievement;
- Identify, design, and coordinate professional development opportunities in Language Arts for District teachers;
- Facilitate quarterly teacher leadership team meetings focused on instruction and student achievement;
- Facilitate the Language Arts program/textbook adoption process and monitor the piloting of candidate programs/textbooks;
- Communicate with the Board of Education, District staff, and the public regarding the District Language Arts program;
- Maintain awareness of, evaluate, and communicate current research on best practices for Language Arts instruction and communicate the implications of this research to all stakeholders.
Committees & Assemblies
The Department of Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction has established teacher leadership teams with representation from each building to support District initiatives, District achievement goals, professional development, and instructional programming in Language Arts. The Elementary and Secondary Language Arts Leadership Teams meet quarterly as a communication and support link between teachers, schools, and the District.