A school community with optimal health and well-being.
The St. Vrain Valley Schools Health Services program encourages educational engagement by supporting student health needs in collaboration with families, staff and community.
The team strives to remove barriers due to health concerns to encourage educational engagement by providing high quality nursing and health services to support and advocate for student health needs in close collaboration with families, staff and the community.
Who are we?
School nurses have specialized training and expertise in prevention, health promotion and management of health concerns. Nurses provide expertise and guidance to students and staff with preventive care ensuring immunization compliance, vision and hearing screening, as well as acute and emergency care. We also ensure appropriate referrals to services both within the district and in the community.
For students with chronic health conditions, school nurses play a large role in the daily management of their conditions. According to the Centers for Disease Control, about 25% of children in the United States aged 2-8 years have chronic health conditions such as asthma, obesity, other physical conditions and behavior and learning problems. The healthcare needs of children with chronic illness can be complex along the continuum of the educational experience and continuity of nursing care is crucial to the success of students.
What we do:
School nurses are Special Service Providers with a license granted from CDE. The qualifications for CDE licensure includes a minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, a license to practice nursing in the State of Colorado, and three years’ experience working in the specialized field of school nursing.
- Provides management of students with chronic health conditions
- In coordination and collaboration with health clerks, staff, parents and administrators develops and monitors Individual Health Plans
- Provides prevention and health promotion education in the school setting
- Manages communicable disease outbreaks in schools
- Coordinates immunization compliance according to district and state policy
- Ensures the confidentiality of student health information
- Works in multi-disciplinary to teams to ensure students are accessing their education