K-12 Science is part of the Department of Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction at the Learning Services Center. The science department oversees and supports the development and implementation of Tier 1 curriculum, assessment, and instruction for science education in the St. Vrain Valley School District.
The K-12 Science Coordinator is responsible for the following to support our community, parents, administrators, teachers, and students in the St. Vrain Valley School District:
- Support the effective implementation of the adopted science instructional materials K-12
- Align science instructional materials to the Colorado Academic Standards PK-12, ensuring a rigorous, guaranteed & viable curriculum for all students
- Support the design, implementation, and interpretation of District-wide science assessments
- Customize support for school-based improvement goals based on identified needs in science achievement
- Identify, design, and coordinate science professional development opportunities for District science teachers
- Facilitate quarterly teacher leadership team meetings focused on instruction and student achievement
- Facilitate the science program/textbook adoption process and monitor the piloting of candidate programs/textbooks
- Communicate with the Board of Education, District staff, and the public regarding the District science program
Committees & Assemblies
The Department of Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction has established teacher leadership teams with representation from each building to support District initiatives, District achievement goals, professional development, and instructional programming in science. The Elementary, Middle School, and High School Science Leadership Teams meet quarterly as a communication and support link between teachers, schools, and the District.