Home schooling is deregulated in the state of Colorado, therefore, parents take on all of the responsibility for their student’s education including acquisition of books, supplies, tests, and maintaining permanent records.
A parent or guardian who intends to establish a nonpublic home-based education program is required to:
- Provide written notification explaining the intent to home school his or her child.
- This written notification must be given 14 days before the parent or guardian establishes the home school program. (22-33-104.5(3)(e), C.R.S.)
- The notification must list the child’s name, age, place of residence, and attendance hours.
- Please Note: Written notification must be re-submitted to the school district each year the home school program is maintained after the initial year.
- If the written notification is not submitted to the school district the student resides in, it is advisable to notify the residing school district as well to avoid truancy action.
How do I get started, what do I do first?
A parent who wishes to home school must provide written notification of their intent to home school to the Superintendent’s Office 14 days prior to establishing the home school program and every year thereafter that the program is maintained. The notification must include the name and age of the child, the address where the home schooling will take place, and the number of hours of attendance of each child enrolled. State statute requires a minimum of 4 hours a day for a minimum of 172 days per year. Records to be maintained include but are not limited to attendance records, immunization records, and assessment records. Students must be tested using a national standardized test or by being evaluated by a qualified person starting with third grade and every other year thereafter. The results of this testing/evaluation must be submitted to the school district to which notification was given.
To Submit your letter of Intent or test scores:
By Mail: APEX – SVVSD Homeschool, ATTN: Michelle Fuller, 1351 S. Sunset, Unit B, Longmont CO 80501
By Email: Please attach your letter as a PDF document and email it to email@example.com
Please visit the following Colorado Dept. of Education website for additional information: https://www.cde.state.co.us/choice/homeschool