Students with significant support needs are highly diverse learners with extensive needs in the areas of cognition and/or learning, communication, movement and social/emotional abilities. The individual may also have concurrent health, sensory, physical and/or behavioral disabilities. St. Vrain Valley Schools has a variety of specialized programs to meet students’ increased needs as stated on their IEP.
Students with specialized program needs require:
- Various approaches and supports to demonstrate knowledge and skills
- Intensive instruction in literacy, numeracy and problem solving skills in order to acquire and generalize knowledge
- Substantial adaptations (modifications and accommodations) and/or ingoing supports to access grade level curriculum
- Access to assistive technology tools to communicate, learn and demonstrate their knowledge
- Progress to be measured by observation, data collection, assessment, and work samples
- Individualized levels of support across major life activities in home, school, and community