Starting in the 2014/2015 school year, the Resource-Wise program was created to build upon the success of the Renew Our Schools competitions and other SVVSD Energy & Sustainability Department programs, which reward and recognize schools for reducing their energy use and other environmentally conscious efforts. Resource-Wise is a yearlong program for St. Vrain Valley Schools interested in championing conservation efforts while receiving monetary awards. The program provides educational opportunities, training, and resources to assist schools in reducing electricity consumption and implementing sustainability initiatives. Students and staff learn important lifelong skills and are empowered to reduce the financial and environmental impact of our buildings.
- Participating schools must have 2 Resource-Wise Leaders; min. time commitment of 15-20 hours per semester. Leaders individually receive their choice of Professional Development 2.0 salary credit or a stipend of $500 for the year.
- Schools receive in-depth training and educational materials
- Schools should utilize the following resources and tools: energy data, School Energy Profile Report, School Energy Conservation Toolkit, eGauge monitor, Cube dashboard, District Staff, and PLT materials. Each Leader will receive toolkits: kill-a-watt, digital thermometer, and light meter.
- Student involvement is critical (min. of 1 group or class). Engaging staff and teachers are also highly encouraged.
- Schools can earn additional funds by completing sustainability projects.
- Newcomers should focus on spreading awareness and recruiting champions.
- Returning schools should focus on advancing efforts, expanding the program and overcoming barriers.
1. Process Model Log: Record meetings and track hours (individually completed)
2. Final Report (individually completed)
3. Final Results Meeting in May
Shared savings months: The dollar amount of the electricity you save goes directly to your school! Progress will be viewable on a dashboard specifically developed for this program and your school’s expected usage. Shared savings will be calculated for November, February, March, and April.
Additional sustainability projects: In addition to shared savings, schools can earn additional funds per sustainability project completed. These projects have included but are not limited to school gardens, including plants in classrooms, setting up a reusable straw and to-go cup program, recycled art shows, and sustainability assemblies.
**Earned award money will be deposited to school accounts during the summer following the program year. The money will be available for use during the next academic school year.
Award money must be used for school energy efficiency upgrades or classroom materials, tool-kits, field trips, professional development or supplies related to energy, sustainability, or the environment.
Funds have been used for a wide variety of appropriate purposes and include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Lighting motion sensors
- Environmental education field trips (such as Eco-Cycle, Thorne, Cal-wood)
- LED light bulbs
- Smart plug strips/surge protectors for plugging in and managing appliances and equipment
- Materials and/or swag for Green Teams
- Vending misers to reduce energy consumption of vending machines
- Weather stripping for windows and doors
- Workshops or training for teachers, staff and/or students around energy, environmental or sustainability education and skill building
- Bins for recycling or composting and/or compostable or durable products for school use (to replace disposable products i.e. purchasing reusable plates and cups to replace plastic or Styrofoam ones).
- Science kits (examples include wind demonstration or solar panel modeling)
To view past results, please click here (click-through to results page)
Interested in registering your school for the 2020/2021 ResourceWise program?
Please email [email protected] if you would like to schedule a conversation to find out if ResourceWise is right for you!