Dear St. Vrain Valley Community,
Eligible St. Vrain Valley School District residents can vote in their county's annual election to help determine how the District operates. The issues and/or positions appearing on the ballot that can affect the District will vary from year to year. They include: Board of Education positions, Mill Levy Overrides, School Bonds, and general representation in state and federal governments. In order to vote in any election, residents must be registered to vote.
Board of Education
There are seven members on the Board of Education who determine District policy and how the District operates. Each board member is elected to a four year term with each member representing a section of the District (based on Board of Education boundaries). For additional information on Board of Education elections or to find out how to be added to the ballot in future elections, contact the Board of Education secretary at (303) 682-7292 and/or visit the Board of Education homepage.
Mill Levy Override
A mill levy override, voted on by citizens in a school district, is a property tax that is used to supplement state funding for a school district's operating funds. In November 2008, voters in the St. Vrain Valley School District approved a 16.5 million dollar mill levy override. For additional information, please see the 2008 Mill Levy Override & Bond page.
A school bond, voted on by citizens in a school district, is a property tax that provides funds for capital improvements for district schools and facilities. School bond funds can ONLY be spent on capital improvements, i.e., new schools, improvements to schools. By law, school bond funds cannot be used for many items in a school district’s budget, i.e., employee salaries, district services. For additional information, please see the 2008 Mill Levy Override & Bond page.
The St. Vrain Valley School District is a public school district that is led through the efforts of a number of elected officials. Each elected official serves their constituents for a specified term. Outside of the Board of Education, residents elect officials who collectively determine funding, legislative issues, and school operation for the St. Vrain Valley School District. The State Board of Education, State Representation, and Federal Representation are all elected as a result of the votes of District residents and other registered voters in the State of Colorado and the United States.
- State Board of Education - Members are charged by the Colorado Constitution with the general supervision of the public schools. The Colorado State Board of Education is the administrative arm of the Colorado Department of Education (CDE).
- State Representation - House of Representatives and Senate members pass legislation that affect school operation. All legislation is passed into law by the Governor.
- Federal Representation - House of Representatives and Senate members pass legislation that affect school operation. All legislation is passed into law by the President.
In order to be eligible to vote in elections, residents of the District must be registered to vote. Contact the county clerk for the county you live in for more information on registering to vote:
- Boulder County Clerk (303) 413-7740
- Weld County Clerk (970) 304-6530
- Larimer County Clerk (970) 498-7852
- Broomfield County Clerk (303) 464-5819
Additional information on: registering to vote in Colorado, ways to vote, when to vote, and where to vote is available at the Colorado Secretary of State Elections Center.