Dear St. Vrain Valley Community,
Thank you for your outstanding support in championing the growth and development of St. Vrain Valley Schools into a nationally recognized center of excellence for student engagement and 21st-century learning. Your unwavering dedication to the well-being and success of our students, teachers, staff, and schools is a testament to the outstanding community in which we live.
K-12 Science is part of the Department of Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction at the Learning Services Center. The science department oversees and supports the development and implementation of Tier 1 curriculum, assessment, and instruction for science education in the St. Vrain Valley School District.
The K-12 Science Coordinator is responsible for the following to support our community, parents, administrators, teachers, and students in the St. Vrain Valley School District:
- Support the effective implementation of the adopted science instructional materials K-12
- Align science instructional materials to the Colorado Academic Standards PK-12, ensuring a rigorous, guaranteed & viable curriculum for all students
- Support the design, implementation, and interpretation of District-wide science assessments
- Customize support for school-based improvement goals based on identified needs in science achievement
- Identify, design, and coordinate science professional development opportunities for District science teachers
- Facilitate quarterly teacher leadership team meetings focused on instruction and student achievement
- Facilitate the science program/textbook adoption process and monitor the piloting of candidate programs/textbooks
- Communicate with the Board of Education, District staff, and the public regarding the District science program
Committees & Assemblies
The Department of Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction has established teacher leadership teams with representation from each building to support District initiatives, District achievement goals, professional development, and instructional programming in science. The Elementary, Middle School, and High School Science Leadership Teams meet quarterly as a communication and support link between teachers, schools, and the District.
K-12 Science Department News
The Middle School Science Adoption Committee invites teachers, administrators, parents and community members from St. Vrain Valley Schools to review and provide input in the selection of a pilot Science program.
This volunteer committee is for the 2014-2015 school year and they are responsible for evaluating instructional materials, participating in publisher presentations, and selecting a pilot program for the 2015-2016 school year.