Dear St. Vrain Valley Community,
Thank you for your outstanding support in championing the growth and development of St. Vrain Valley Schools into a nationally recognized center of excellence for student engagement and 21st-century learning. Your unwavering dedication to the well-being and success of our students, teachers, staff, and schools is a testament to the outstanding community in which we live.
The Literacy Team seeks to empower St. Vrain's elementary teachers and principals so that all students reach proficient levels of literacy. The Elementary Literacy Office's structure and focus reflect the needs of the district's schools. Coordinators work with both English and bilingual teachers, as well as administrators, parents and other district staff to improve student acheivement in reading.
Areas of departmental focus include:
- Oversight and coordination of elementary literacy assessments, including data collection reporting
- Oversight of district compliance with READ Act, Individual Literacy Plan (ILP) procedures and reporting to the Colorado Department of Education (CDE)
- Provide coaching to literacy and classroom teachers in Title I schools and support literacy teachers in non-Title I buildings
- Design and facilitate professional development opportunities in the teaching of reading for literacy teachers and classroom teachers
- Ensure that reading interventions are effective and have a solid research base
- Promote the use of effective reading strategies for struggling readers and for those students who are learning English as a second language
- Plan and deliver seminars that focus on maintaining the technical vitality of the district's literacy teachers, providing timely literacy information to schools
- Research and implement technology resources (ex. Lexia, i-Ready) that promote reading acquisition for students
- Expand technology resources that offer support for instruction and promote efficiency in the collection and analysis of student data
- Provide new teachers with literacy training
- Provide training to parents in Titile I schools in subjects related to reading, and strategies to use at home to enhance their children's reading skills