The St. Vrain Valley School District recognizes the importance of a quality early childhood experience. The District provides preschool programs at all elementary schools and some community sites. The preschool program is family focused and the standards-based curriculum promotes learning through play and discovery. One of the main goals of the preschool program is to prepare children for kindergarten.
The Early Childhood/Preschool department oversees the following preschool programs:
- Tuition programs for 3 and 4 year old children (2, 3 and 4 half-day sessions)
- Colorado Preschool Program (CPP) for eligible 4 year old children (4 half-day sessions)
- Special Education services for eligible preschool children 3 to 5 year old children (2, 3, and 4 half-day sessions to meet individual needs) - Preschools work collaboratively with the District’s Special Education Department (Child Find) in the assessment, identification, and programming for children with disabilities
The department is responsible for supervision and implementation of the following:
- Preschool Standards
- Curriculum – Creative Curriculum® from Teaching Strategies
- Assessment – Teaching Strategies GOLD (on-line, authentic assessment)
- Results Matter – Colorado’s statewide early childhood system
- Colorado Preschool Program – state funded program
Early Childhood Department News
At the Longmont City Council meeting on April 12th, Longmont Mayor, Dennis Coombs, recognized the early childhood education efforts of St. Vrain Valley Schools and signed an official proclamation that the week of April 10-16, 2016 would be recognized as "Week of the Young Child" in Longmont. The proclamation invites all residents to recognize the value of laying a foundation for success in children's early childhood years and to participate in the week's events, including the April 13 community celebration at Mountain View Elementary from 4:30-6:30 pm.